Let’s know about DIG Full Form. Police officers have an important role in our society. They maintain the law and order of the society, assist the public in times of need, investigate crimes and protect our property.
Today we will talk about a prestigious and famous post of Indian Police. We are talking about the post of DIG . Friends, today in this post we will provide you all the important information related to the post of DIG like full form of DIG , how to become a DIG, responsibilities of a DIG , qualification required to become a DIG etc.
At the same time, we will also give you this information that if you also want to serve the country by becoming a DIG , then what you will have to do. So do read this article till the end. So let’s start-
What is the full form of DIG?
Before knowing anything about the post of DIG , let us first know what is the full form of DIG .
The full form of DIG in English is – “Deputy Inspector General ”.
An IPS officer can be designated as a DIG . The rank of DIG is higher than that of Senior Superintendent of Police or Deputy Commissioner of Police.
A DIG reports to either the Inspector General or the Joint Commissioner of Police. There can be multiple DIGs in a state.
This is a very respected post as DIGs work in association with Inspector General (IG). The collars of DIG rank officers adorn a white stitched line georgette patch on a dark blue background.
Next time if you see such a patch on the collar of a police officer, you will understand that he is a DIG officer.
Let us now know about the duty of a DIG .
Responsibilities of a DIG:
A DIG has the following responsibilities:
- A DIG reports to the Inspector General (IG) and follows his instructions.
- Whenever the Inspector General (IG) is not present, it is the duty of the DIG to represent the Inspector General (IG).
- As long as they have a large area of control, maintain peace in their area to the best of their ability.
- To keep the police force and its officers and colleagues organized and disciplined.
- The duty of a DIG is to control those circumstances which are beyond the scope of the SP’s authority.
- If there is a complaint from the District Magistrate or there is a case, then the DIG has to represent the IGP in those situations. He settles the cases falling under his purview and sends other cases to the Inspector General of Police (IG) for review. In cases where there is a discrepancy between the opinion of the DIG and the District Magistrate, those cases are also referred to the Inspector General (IG) so that the Inspector General (IG) can take a decision on them.
If you also have a desire to become a DIG officer, then read the article given below.
How can you become a DIG?
There are two ways to become a DIG – either you can become a DIG through UPSC exam or you can become a DIG through State PCS exam .
- If we talk about UPSC, then you will get all the information about UPSC from our blog post named UPSC. To become a DIG , first of all it is necessary to become an IPS. Then they are given training.
- On completion of training of IPS the candidate is appointed as ASP (Assistant Superintendent of Police/Assistant Superintendent of Police) or ACP (Assistant Commissioner of Police/Assistant Commissioner of Police).
- After ASP/ACP post, applicants are promoted as SSP (Senior Superintendent of Police/Senior Police Superintendent) and finally as DIG (Deputy Inspector General of Police) based on their experience, achievements and performance .
- If a candidate wants to become a DIG through State PCS exam , then first of all he/she has to qualify the PCS exam. You will get complete information about PCS in the second article of our blog.
- Firstly, the candidate is appointed to the post of DSP (Deputy Superintendent of Police/Deputy Superintendent of Police).
- Based on their experience and performance candidates get promoted to SSP and then to DIG
What are the criterias required to become a DIG?
- Applicant must be either an Indian citizen, or a citizen of Nepal and Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee with the intention of permanently settling in India, or a Pakistani, Burmese, Sri Lankan, or East African expatriate One who comes with the intention of settling in India.
- Now talking about the educational qualification, DIG has the same educational qualification as that of an IPS because a candidate cannot become a DIG without becoming an IPS officer. The applicant must be at least a graduate from a recognized university. Bachelor’s degree in any discipline or stream can be obtained.
- The candidate has to successfully qualify all the three stages of UPSC exam – Prelims, Mains and Interview. You become an IPS if you get the required marks . Then you are given training for about two years, then you become an IPS officer. And as we have said before, the first step in the path of becoming a DIG is to become an IPS. Then ASP or ACP and finally gradually getting promoted the candidate becomes DIG .
Salary and perks of DIG: Salary and perks of DIG :
The monthly income of DIG as per 6th CPC is Rs. 37,400-67,000 (with grade pay of Rs.8090). Apart from this, they get many other facilities like,
- rent free accommodation
- official vehicle
- free electricity
- medical treatment expenses
- Paid study leave
- telephone connection
- Security guard
- domestic helper
- free telephone connection
- lifetime pension
Friends, we have tried to give you complete information about DIG through this article . If you also like this article then do share it with your friends and don’t forget to share your opinion in the comment section below.
DIG Full Form: Conclusion
So friends, this was all the information related to a DIG or DIG officer. In this article, apart from the full form of DIG, I have also told you what is DIG ( what is DIG), how to become a DIG officer, eligibility to become a DIG, salary, other facilities etc. Detailed information is given in this article.
Friends, DIG officers get many facilities, but in India apart from the level of the country, there is a lot of respect in the society because they contribute a lot to the country.
If you also have a dream that you become a DIG officer and serve the country or society, then for this you will need determination and sacrifice. You should know that the UPSC or STATE PCS exam given to become a DIG is very difficult, so you have to prepare very well, then you can expect good marks. Friends, our best wishes are with you.
In the end, I would like to wish you that if you liked the information about DIG full form, how to become a DIG, salary, qualification etc. and if you got to learn something from this article, then share it on social media. Must do so that other people can also know DIG full form.