Triethyl phosphate is an organophosphorus compound with the formula P(OCH2 CH3 )3 , often abbreviated as P(OEt)3 . It is a colourless, foul-smelling liquid. It is used as a ligand in organometallic chemistry and as a reagent in organic synthesis .
The molecule consists of a pyramidal phosphorus(III) center bound to three ethoxide groups. Its 31p NMR spectrum has a signal at approximately +139 ppm versus the phosphoric acid standard. Triethyl phosphate is prepared by treating phosphorus trichloride with ethanol in the presence of a base , usually a tertiary amine:
PCl 3 + 3 EtOH + 3 R 3 n → p (Oet) 3 + 3 R 3 NH + Cl –
In the absence of a base, the reaction yields diethylphosphite ((EtO)2P(O)H). Many related compounds can be prepared in a similar way, triisopropyl phosphite being an example (BP 43.5 °C/1.0 mM; CAS # 116-17-6).
|chemical formula||c 6 h 15 o 3 p 3|
|molar mass||166.157 g·mol −1|
|Melting point||-70 °C (-94 °F; 203 K)|
|boiling point||156 °C (313 °F; 429 K) (57 to 58 °C at 16 mm)|
|Solubility in water||organic solvents|
|magnetic susceptibility (χ)||-104.8 10 −6 cm 3 /mol|
as a ligand
In coordination chemistry and homogeneous catalysis , triethyl phosphate finds use as a soft ligand. Its complexes are usually lipophilic and are characterized by metals in low oxidation states. Examples include the colorless complexes FeH 2 (P(OEt) 3 ) 4 and Ni(P(OEt) 3 ) 4 (mp 108 °C).
What is Triethyl phosphate ?
Triethyl phosphate is a high boiling point solvent and a plasticizer for rubber and plastics. It is also a catalyst. It is also used as a raw material for the preparation of insecticides and insecticides. and used as ethylation reagent for the production of ketene. In Japan, 70% of the product is used as a catalyst, and about 20% as a solvent.
(1) Catalyst: xylene isomer catalyst; Olefin polymerization catalyst; tetraethyl lead production catalyst; carbodiimide production catalyst; Trialkill Boron and Olefin Substitution Reaction Catalyst; Catalyst for high temperature dehydration of acetic acid to ketones to produce ethylene; Catalyst for polymerization of styrene and conjugated diene compounds; If used in the polymerization of terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol, it can prevent fiber discoloration.
(2) Solvents: solvents for cellulose nitrate and cellulose acetate; Solvents used to maintain the life of organic peroxide catalysts; solvents for fluorinated ethylene dispersion; Peroxides used as catalysts for polyester resins and epoxy resins agent and diluent.
(3) stabilizers: chlorine-based insecticides and stabilizers; stabilizers for phenolic resins; Solidifying agent for sugar alcohol resins.
(4) synthetic resin: curing agent for xyllenol formaldehyde resin; softener for phenolic resin used in shell molds; softener for vinyl chloride; plasticizer for vinyl acetate polymer; Flame retardant for polyester resin agent.
(5) Triethyl phosphate (Flame Retardant TEP) is a high-boilability solvent, a plasticizer for rubber and plastics, and is used as a raw material for the preparation of insecticides and insecticides, as an ethylating agent and ketene production. is also done in In Japan, 70% of this product is used in catalysts.